Get Ready for a Memorial Day Road Trip
Memorial Day signals the beginning of summer and for many people that means a weekend getaway. If a trip to the beach or your favorite weekend retreat is in your plans, be sure your vehicle is in optimal shape before you take to the road. Holiday weekends are synonymous with traffic and the last thing you want to worry about is getting stuck in traffic with a flat tire or overpay for repairs. Here are some tips to help you prepare for travel over the holiday weekend.
- Make an appointment to have your vehicle serviced at AAA Car Care Center a week or two before you leave. Have your battery tested, tires checked for wear and pressure, fluids checked and refilled if necessary, and the oil changed if you are due. Because it is usually warm during Memorial Day weekend, have your AC system tested for proper functioning, too. With time to spare, your mechanic will be able to make necessary repairs before you pack up the car.
- Plan your route and stops along the way with AAA Travel. Utilize our website for travel tour books and maps if you are traveling to a new destination or to find discounts along the way. Download the app on your phone for quick and easy access to saved trips.
- Make a checklist to include everything you will need on the road and once you reach your destination. As your trip draws closer, you will likely have a lot to do. By keeping a list, you can stay focused and bring what's needed so you are not scrambling the day of the trip.
- Pack your car properly so you can maximize cargo space and fit all the things you need. Begin by cleaning out your car completely. With everything emptied out, bring out all of your luggage and set it in one place near the car. Begin packing the back of the trunk with the heaviest items on the bottom. Then, place lighter or fragile items on top of bulky luggage.
- Keep necessary items within reach. Make sure that important items like your emergency kit, blanket, and flashlight are easily accessible and at the front of the trunk or in your backseat. You don’t want these items buried beneath luggage. It is also a good idea to keep water and snacks handy, especially if you will be traveling with kids.
Road trips can be a lot of fun, especially when you plan ahead. While you are having your vehicle serviced at AAA Car Care, make sure your AAA Insurance and AAA Membership are up to date. Even if you do your best to prepare ahead of time, sometimes the unexpected happens. If you should find yourself in trouble on the road, AAA Roadside Assistance will be there to help. Keep your AAA card handy if you need us along the way. Find your nearest Car Care location below and print your Car Care coupons here.