Safety First with AAA Car Care
From anti-lock braking systems to airbags and blind spot monitoring, many cars today come with standard safety features and optional safety upgrades. In addition to purchasing a safe and reliable vehicle, it's critical to maintain your automobile to keep it safe. At AAA Car Care, we care about your safety, and we'll perform a free multi-point inspection at your next service visit so you can have peace of mind on the road. Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to vehicle safety.
Tire maintenance is crucial.
- Your tires have direct contact with the road, so if there is a problem, it can affect your vehicle's handling, braking, and performance.
- All four tires should have the correct air pressure and tread depth to work optimally. Your vehicle should also be properly aligned to maximize tire life.
- When driving, pay attention to any vibrating and thumping noises or if your car pulls to one side.
- Visually inspect your tires regularly, especially if there is debris on the road or if you drive over potholes. Look for over inflation, under inflation, and treadwear. (Bring in to AAA Car Care if you have any concerns regarding your tires).
Good brakes keep your vehicle under control when driving.
- Have your brakes inspected annually, preferably before winter weather arrives.
- Pay attention to warning signs such as a brake pedal that requires more pressure to stop the vehicle; scraping, squeaking, or chirping noises that come from the wheel when the brakes are applied; and a car that pulls to the left or right when braking.
- Do not ignore the brake warning light if illuminated.
- Have the brake fluid flushed as recommended in your owner's manual.
- Good driving habits can make brakes last longer and prevent costly repairs.
- Before driving on wet or icy roads, brush up on proper braking and steering techniques that can be critical to your safety.
Headlights must safely illuminate dark roadways.
- Halogen headlights fail to safely illuminate unlit roadways at speeds as low as 40mph.
- LED lights provide better visibility than Halogen lamps but still fall short of the distances that the full light of day provides.
- High beam settings improve sight distances, but not enough when driving at highway speeds.
- Deteriorated headlight lenses reduce light output and decrease light scatter, which contributes to glare for other drivers.
- Restoring headlights increases nighttime visibility. AAA Car Care provides to its customers a headlight cleaning service.
Although you can't prevent some events from happening, you can be proactive when it comes to keeping your vehicle safe. Routine maintenance should be part of your overall plan when it comes to safety. Come in for a free multi-point inspection today. Our technicians offer a full range of automotive services and back their work with an industry leading 2-year/24,000 mile warranty.