Vehicle Safety Tips to Beat the Heat
Whether you are planning a long road trip, a quick getaway, or a few day trips, you'll want to make sure your car is ready for the intense heat. A little preparation now might save you time and money later. Here are some vehicle safety tips to keep in mind this summer.
- If you are traveling, plan ahead with AAA's TripTiks, travel brochures, and maps before getting on the road. Use the mobile app for discounts and alternate routes along the way.
- Take your vehicle to one of our Car Care Centers for a pre-trip inspection of your battery, tires, fluids, engine, and AC system. You will drive with peace of mind knowing your vehicle has been checked.
- Prepare an emergency kit to keep in your car year round. Include blankets, a flashlight, bottled water, and medical supplies.
- Keep your AAA membership active for roadside assistance if necessary.
- Be sure to buckle up every time you get behind the wheel. Encourage all passengers to wear seatbelts, even if they are in the backseat.
- Use sunshades on your windows when your car is parked to keep the interior cooler. Before getting in the car, keep the doors open for a few seconds to let built-up heat escape. Never leave a child or pet in a parked car: the consequences can be dangerous, even fatal. If you see a child or pet locked in a hot car, let someone know immediately. You can follow more of these tips for safe summer travel.
- Don't talk or text on your phone while driving. Stay alert and take frequent breaks if you are driving long distances. If you get too drowsy, you can always use your AAA membership to stay the night (at a discounted rate) at one of these participating hotels.
- Be sure your auto insurance coverage is sufficient and payments are up-to-date.
- Keep your car, especially your windshield, clean for driving visibility. Pollen and debris can easily accumulate and alter your view of the road. Visit Sam's Xpress Car Wash with your AAA discount on cleaning or AutoGlass if your windshield needs to be repaired or replaced.
AAA can help you keep your car safe this summer with a free inspection at one of our Car Care Centers, roadside assistance, and car wash discounts. Also, follow the tips above and be safe!