2018 New Year’s Resolutions
With the start of a new year comes the opportunity to set the bar high in achieving new goals. In addition to the usual plans to lose weight or spend more time outdoors, AAA Carolinas hopes you will pledge to be a better driver.
AAA Carolinas created a list of resolutions for motorists to pledge to follow in order to make our roads a safer place to drive:
- Disconnect and Drive. One out of every five traffic deaths involves distracted driving. Put your phone away in 2018. Don't check emails, texts or social media. Don't eat behind the wheel or groom yourself while driving.
- Don't Drink and Drive. Always have a designated sober driver in place before drinking takes place. Commit to downloading a ride-sharing app such as Uber or Lyft – which are handy services that are easy to use and offer special features like extra large vehicles and vehicles for those needing special assistance.
- Wear your Seatbelt. This is the simplest pledge that can make the greatest difference. 50 percent of those involved in a crash that are not wearing a seatbelt are killed. Use your seatbelt at all times and make sure you are teaching your children to do the same.
- Obey Speed Limits and Understand Road Conditions. Always adhere to the posted speed limit as speeding is a factor in almost one third of all traffic related deaths. At the same time, understand the conditions of the road in each situation. If you deem the roads to be unsafe, for example if they are icy or wet, go slower than the limit to prevent a crash. Drive to the conditions.
- Share the Road. Always scan the road for pedestrians, bicyclists and animals. Slow your vehicle as you approach them.
- Have a Conversation with your Teen. Teen drivers are one of the most vulnerable groups on the road. Talk to your teen about all of the distractions and dangerous factors they are facing and how to combat those to get to their destination safely every time.
- Protect your Vehicle. Perform regular tire checks and routine maintenance to ensure your car runs smoothly on the roads.
Take the pledge in 2018 to be a better driver by adhering to these simple resolutions to ensure safer roads for everyone in the Carolinas.
For more seasonal traffic safety tips and community news in the Carolinas, please subscribe to AAA Carolinas Foundation for Traffic Safety e-newsletter. By following this link, you will be entered to receive an email each month with timely traffic safety tips and happenings.