Foreign Cash Tips
Even seasoned travelers can’t anticipate every financial need. We encourage you to pack a combination of financial products for your trip abroad, including foreign currency and credit, debit, and ATM cards. It is recommended that you carry at least two of these means of payment and have small denominations of foreign cash on hand to pay for taxi fares, tips, and meals. Here are 10 financial tips to consider for managing money needs when traveling abroad:
- Before you go, contact card companies to let them know of travel plans. Transactions in another country could be declined as suspicious if your card company isn’t aware of your travel plans.
- Ask card companies about foreign transaction fees and fees for withdrawals at an international ATM.
- Make a list of the important international phone numbers for reporting lost or stolen cards.
- ATM PINs should be in the proper format. Four-digit numeric PINs are standard in most countries.
- Know daily card limits before you leave and make sure they will fit your needs.
- When using ATMs, keep your cash out of sight and only use ATMs in safe locations.
- Store your passport, airline tickets, extra foreign currency, and other must-haves in a secure place.
- Carry only the cash you will need for each day’s outing.
- Keep exchange receipts until they get home, in case they’re asked to show them while traveling.
- Keep photocopies of key documents separate from the originals — they can sometimes help speed up the replacement process.
Please contact your local AAA office for more information on the money products available or call 1-800-444-8691