National Plan For Vacation Day Will Help You Finally Get Away
National Plan for Vacation Day 2019 is on January 29, and AAA encourages Americans to reap the benefits of taking a break while giving themselves something to look forward to.
More than half of Americans failed to use all of their time off last year, creating a stock pile of 705 million unused vacation days. That’s up from the previous year’s already sad figure of 662 million days.
AAA, in collaboration with Project: Time Off, understands that the most effective remedy for American workers who want to use more vacation days is better planning. Yet only 54 percent of households actually set aside time to plan the use of their vacation time each year.
Research shows that planners have a distinct advantage over non-planners: They use more of their time, take longer vacations, and are happier.
● 53 percent of planners took all of their vacation time vs. 43 percent of non-planners.
● 33 percent of planners are more likely to use all or most of their time off to travel vs. 18 percent of non-planners.
● Compared to non-planners, planners report they are “very” or “extremely” happy with their:
• Personal relationships (81% vs. 68%)
• Health and well-being (56% vs. 43%)
• Company (57% vs. 50%)
• Job (56% vs. 48%)
Celebrate National Plan for Vacation Day
AAA encourages everyone to make use of their vacation days, and offers these tips to help make “National Plan for Vacation Day” the beginning of your next great vacation rather than just a clever holiday.
- Create a tentative budget and schedule so your trip planning can be accomplished in a realistic manner.
- Research and understand the pros and cons of traveling to a destination during your preferred timeframe. Identify attractions or activities you are most interested in and determine if they will be available.
- Leverage your AAA exclusive member discounts for car rentals, flights, hotels, vacation packages and much more. Visit AAA.com/Travel or download the free AAA Mobile app.
- Consider booking vacations with a travel agent. AAA offers travel services at their branch locations. In addition to having in-depth expertise about destinations across the globe, AAA Travel Agencies have relationships with cruise lines, hotels and tour operators and often have access to special rates and added benefits that are not available elsewhere.
- Plan ahead. If you are leaving the country you will need a passport, and possibly a visa or health documentation. It can take up to six weeks to get a new passport, so allow time to secure all necessary documents.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance, it is designed to offer protection against sudden and unforeseen events. Check with a travel agent and carefully review insurance policies before purchasing, as coverage options vary.
In addition to AAA’s tips, the U.S. Travel Association created a vacation planning tool for National Plan for Vacation Day to help employees get their days on the calendar.
The decision to travel is a very personal one that must be made by the traveler. No matter where you go, always remain informed of travel alerts and consult a travel agent for their expert advice. AAA travel agents are available to assist members with this information.
Get started planning your next vacation at AAA.com/Travel or download the AAA Mobile app AAA.com/mobile. Travelers can find discounts, book a hotel and more to help them celebrate National Plan For Vacation Day.