The current coronavirus outbreak has made us hyper-aware of good hygiene. Many people are regularly washing their hands, sanitizing surfaces, and avoiding person-to-person contact. For those who have to be out driving, it’s equally as important to disinfect your car.
10 Things to Disinfect in Your Car Right Now
Visiting a car wash and vacuuming your interior is a good start, but here are 10 important spots to be sure you’re regularly disinfecting:
1. Steering wheel including buttons
2. Cup holders and center console
3. Seat belts and buckles
4. Door handles
5. Gear shifter, turn signal, and windshield wiper switch
6. Radio knobs and climate control buttons
7. Door lock and window controls
8. Rearview mirror
9. Grab handles
10. Car keys and ignition
These are the most-touched areas of your car, and as such, should be cleaned most frequently. We recommend against using bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or ammonia-based products as they can damage the interior of your car.
Keeping Things Clean at the Gas Station
You can keep the inside of your car spotless, but eventually, you’ll need to visit a gas station. According to a study by carrentals.com, the average pump handle is nearly twelve thousand times dirtied that public toilet seat. The gas pump buttons are even worse.
• Wear disposable gloves when operating the fuel pump. Be sure to dispose of them before re-entering your car to prevent transferring the virus to your door handle, which could later be transferred to you.
• Use disinfecting wipes on the pump handle, fuel grade buttons, and payment keypad before use. This not only kills the germs for you but can help the next person who might come along less prepared.
• If gloves and disinfectant wipes are unavailable, use a paper towel to prevent you from making direct contact with the pump. Throw away paper towels and use hand sanitizer before re-entering your vehicle.
We recommend staying off the road whenever possible right now, but we understand that people must drive at times. These are just a few tips to help keep you safe when doing so.