’Tis the season for hustle and bustle. Add an infant and holiday travel to the mix, and you might find yourself feeling less jolly than usual this holiday season. But with a little preparation, you can relax and make festive and magical travel memories with your new baby.
1. Pack smart. Compile a packing list well before you leave, and set aside items you need to take in the days leading up to your departure. Make sure your diaper bag has a shoulder strap and waterproof lining. Use re-sealable bags for medications and toiletries. You can even put each of Baby’s outfit in its own separate plastic bag so you don’ have to dig through to find things. Don’t forget to bring the number for your child’s pediatrician.
2. Pack appropriately. There is a lot to bring when traveling with a baby (thus the need to make a list ahead of time). Your destination and the length of your trip will determine your exact list, but be sure to pack more than enough diapers and wipes; a baby thermometer and first aid kit; formula, breast milk or baby food and all accompanying utensils; a baby monitor; a few favorite toys; blankets and bibs.
3. Stick to the schedule. As much as possible, tailor your travel plans around your baby’s eating and sleeping schedule.
4. Remember car seat safety. If you’re traveling by car, make sure your car seat is properly installed based on your child’s age and weight. Bring the car seat with you even if you’re not traveling via vehicle.
5. Ensure your auto and life insurances policies are up to date. A quick call to your AAA agent can ensure that your coverage is adequate and that you are protecting what matters most.