Auto theft happens, and sadly over half of the stolen vehicles are never returned to their owners. Even for the approximately fifty percent of owners who do get their vehicles back, it is rarely a joyous occasion. Most vehicles have been stripped for parts and are damaged on return.
Keep these security tips in mind to help deter auto theft:
- It seems silly to mention, but many vehicles are stolen with the keys still in the ignition. Remove your keys when leaving your vehicle.
- Lock your doors. Surprisingly, this does deter many would-be thieves.
- Park in a good area, or even better, a garage. Leaving your vehicle on the street in a high-crime area is a sure way to have your vehicle stolen.
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle. If a criminal sees two vehicles, one of which has a visible GPS, purse, or other item of value on the car seat, and a vehicle that appears empty, you can guess which one the criminal is going to break into.
- Invest in an auto recovery device, or simply use a device to secure your steering wheel.
As a member of AAA, you may be eligible for a reward payment, if you can provide enough information to police to result in an arrest for auto or auto-stereo theft. Check out your member guide for more information. AAA's auto insurance gives you the ability to file a claim 24 hours a day and offers you same-day answers from their auto adjusters. We can discuss options for additional coverage, such as comprehensive which covers theft once a deductible is met.
In the event that your vehicle is stolen, call 1-800-AAA-HELP. We are here to assist you when you need it. We can provide you a vehicle to drive until your vehicle is returned or your claim is paid. If you have not joined AAA already, this is just one more reason to check us out.