Whether your team is playing in the Super Bowl this year or not, you’re probably still gearing up for the big game. For fans planning to watch the Super Bowl over drinks, we want to remind you to make a plan now to get home safely because nobody wins when you get behind the wheel impaired.
AAA Carolinas offers the following Super Bowl safety tips for those attending a viewing party:
- Decide whether you are drinking or driving for the night – you cannot do both.
- Plan your ride home in advance – designate a sober or commit to using a taxi service/ride sharing service.
- Download a ride-sharing app such as Uber or Lyft for convenience. Familiarize yourself with the app beforehand.
- Be aware of those around you. If you see someone getting behind the wheel intoxicated, take their keys and assist them in finding a safe ride home.
- If you see a driver on the road who you suspect is impaired, pull over to a safe spot and call 911 – giving police a description of the vehicle.
Super Bowl safety tips for those hosting a viewing party:
- If you are hosting a party with alcohol, be a responsible host. Allow guests to stay the night if they need to or find them a safe ride home.
- Have a selection of non-alcoholic beverages on hand.
- Stop serving alcohol at least an hour before your guests go home.
- Serve plenty of food and snacks.
- If you see a guest getting into a vehicle while intoxicated, kindly take their keys and help them find an alternative way home.
Super Bowl safety extends after the party as well. Motorists are also advised to keep an eye out for pedestrians who have had too much to drink. They may suddenly stumble into the road, jaywalk, or disobey traffic signals. Walking while intoxicated can also be deadly, as diminished coordination and limited attention puts drunk pedestrians at risk of getting hit by a vehicle. Pedestrians are urged to keep an eye out for cars, cross at intersections, and obey walk signals.
When it comes to preventing drinking and driving, we all need to be on the same team.